In this video from the ICT Center, learn about fiber optic receivers. Investigate the components of an optical receiver; how a photodetector converts an ...
The National Center for Information and Communications Technologies
This media asset was adapted from "ICT Experiment 5: Photodetector and Receiver Characteristics".
Stream, Download, Share, and Modify
© 2010 WGBH Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
Adapted from "ICT Experiment 5: Photodetector and Receiver Characteristics" from The National Center for Information and Communications Technologies.
Here are suggested ways to engage students with this video and with activities related to this topic.
- Beginning a lesson: Show students an image of a barcode. Ask them to explain how barcodes are used to provide information. How is the data stored in the barcode pattern retrieved? Relate this discussion to fiber optic receivers.
- Viewing the video: Use the following suggestions to guide students' viewing of the video:
- Before: Review the concept of optical absorption by a semiconductor. What is the purpose of a photodiode? A solar cell is a type of large photodiode; have students research how a solar cell works. They can begin by checking out Inside a Solar Cell.
- During: Have students write down the different types of light sources that are used for communications purposes. What are the advantages of each?
- After: Discuss the relationship among fiber optics concepts. Provide five to six concepts from the lesson (such as optical transmitter, photodetector, and optical absorption) and ask students to provide five to six additional concepts they believe to be important. How are the concepts related to one another? For example, how is a photodetector related to an optical transmitter?
- Doing research projects—individual: Optical sensors have many applications in addition to fiber optic communications systems. Have students research additional uses of photodetectors in business and industry and write a short essay about one such use.
- What is an optical receiver?
- What components are required to construct an optical receiver?
- What are three characteristics required of an optical receiver?
- In an optical detector, what is generated when a photon is absorbed?