Learn about Fort Abercrombie, which was known as the Gateway to the West, in this audio clip from the Dakota Datebook series. It was the first permanent United States military fort in what is now North Dakota. Established in 1858 by an act of Congress, it was named for the officer in charge, Lieutenant Colonel John J. Abercrombie. The fort’s initial purpose was to guard the oxcart trails used by fur traders.
Learn more at the Prairie Public web site.