This image was taken in Atlanta, Georgia, September-November, 1864. After three and a half months of incessant maneuvering and fighting, Union Army General William Tecumseh Sherman forced Confederate General John Bell Hood to abandon the munitions center of the confederacy. Sherman remained there, resting his war-worn men and accumulating supplies for nearly two and a half months. During the occupation, George N. Barnard, official photographer of the Chief Engineer's Office, made some of the best documentary images of the war. Unfortunately, much of what he photographed was destroyed in the fire that spread from the military facilities blown up at Sherman's departure on November 15.