Zubov, Alexei Fyodorovich (1682/3-1751). Russian. Medium: etching. Date: 1717. The palace was founded in 1710 as a residence of Saint Petersburg Governor General Alexander Menshikov and built by Italian architects Giovanni Maria Fontana, and, later, German architect Gottfried Johann Sch�del. It was opened in 1711, but the construction continued until 1727 assisted by Domenico Trezzini, Bartolomeo Rastrelli, Georg Johann Mattarnovy and Jean-Baptiste Le Blond. Provenance: Hermitage, St. Petersburg, Russia. Photographic Rights held by The Bridgeman Art Library.