Students watch a video about the history of Idaho. Students learn key points leading up to its statehood in 1890, and use that information to construct a timeline.
This lesson is part of Great States: Idaho | Unit 7: Territory-to-State which looks at the key turning points that led to Idaho evolving into the 43rd state of the Union. Students will learn that statehood was a complex process and not an inevitable historical outcome.
Boise District 413.24: Identify major events that led to Idaho statehood.
Boise District 413.25: Chronologically organize the events that led to Idaho becoming a state.
- Video: Great States: Idaho History
- A smart board, projector, or other type of screen to show videos to the class
- Notebooks or loose-leaf paper
- Classroom set of Idaho Becomes a State worksheet
- Construction paper
- Markers, crayons, or colored pencils
- Tell students they will be watching a short video about the history of Idaho, up to its statehood. Have students take notes of important dates, names, and events leading up to Idaho’s statehood in 1890.
- Play the video, Great States: Idaho History [4:00]. You may want to pause at certain points to give students enough time to write important information.
- Along with a pair of scissors, hand out the Idaho Becomes a State worksheet to students. Individually, have students cut out the strips and rearrange them into chronological order (by date).
- Distribute construction paper and art supplies. Have students paste their timelines to the paper, adding from their notes any major events that led to Idaho becoming a state.
- Reconvene and discuss the order of events with the class. Answer any questions they may have.
The events in the timeline should be in the following order (indented dates are possible add-ons from the students’ notes):
1803 – Louisiana Purchase
1805 – Corps of Discovery enters Idaho
1824 – William H. Ashley and Jedediah Smith expand fur trade
1846 – The Oregon Treaty acquires Idaho’s lands for the United States
1860 – Franklin, the first non-native permanent settlement, is established
1860 – Gold is discovered in Clearwater River
1861 – Civil War begins
1863 – President Lincoln creates Idaho Territory
1890 – Idaho becomes the 43rd state