In this TV411 activity, students watch a video segment of a WNBA star who provides tips on time management including the preparation of a daily and monthly schedule. Students learn to use a calendar to calculate elapsed time in months, weeks and days. They also practice calculating elapsed time in hours, minutes and seconds.
WNBA Supermom QuickTime Video
Part I: Learning Activity
1. Read the following to your students: "Utah Starzz WNBA basketball champion Olympia Scott Richardson discusses how she manages her timeas an athlete, a young mother, a writer, and a musician. As you watch the video segment make a list of the tips she gives about effective time management."
2. Play the WNBA Supermom QuickTime Video .
3. Discuss with students the tips they recorded.
4. Distribute the Elapsed Time: Days, Weeks and Months handout .
5. Ask students to complete the handout.
6. Discuss the handout.
Part II: Assessment
Assessment: Level A (proficiency): Students calculate elapsed time in months, weeks and days using a calendar representation.
Assessment: Level B (above proficiency): Students calculate elapsed time in minutes and seconds in the context of deep sea diving.