In this Cyberchase activity, students work with representations of fractions. In the video clips, Digit and Wicked must solve three fractional problems while searching for the Universal Vortex Opener. Students will learn to recognize representations of fractions. They learn to identify denominators and numerators, understand the relationship between the number of parts into which a whole is divided, and the number of those parts that are present.
Part I: Learning Activity
1. Read the following to your students: "In this video clip, Wicked the Witch has cast a spell which accidentally captures the CyberSquad in a vortex between two worlds. The CyberSquad begins to dematerialize. In order to save them, Digit must locate the "universal vortex opener." The only problem is that they have to solve problems in order to find it. Digit and Wicked must solve puzzles from the Sphinx, Grubby the tin man, and the Amulet of Amagansett. As you watch the video clip, keep track of each fraction used and be prepared to match the fraction with its picture on a handout later on in the lesson."
2. Tell the students that they will first watch a video in which Digit and Wicked visit the Sphinx and solve a fraction problem.
3. Play the Solving the Sphinx's Fraction Problem QuickTime Video .
4. Discuss briefly with the students the meaning of the "whole" and the fraction in this video.
5. Tell the students that they will now watch a video clip in which Digit and Wicked find Grubby and solve the next fraction puzzle. Ask students to focus on how Digit and Wicked solve the puzzle.
6. Play the Grubby's Wacky Worms QuickTime Video .
7. Briefly discuss with the students the definition of "whole" in this video clip, and discuss the differences between the concept of whole and fraction in the first and second video clips.
8. Tell the students that they will now watch a video clip in which Digit and Wicked solve a puzzle involving the Amulet of Amagansett. Ask students to focus on the different parts of the fraction.
9. Play the The Puzzle of the Amulet of Amagansett QuickTime Video .
10. Distribute the Matching Fractions with Their Representations Handout for students to complete.
11. Discuss the students' results for the handout.
Part II: Assessment
Assessment: Level A:(proficiency): Students are asked to match fractions with equivalent representations.
Assessment: Level B: (above proficiency): Students are asked to label circular representations with the correct fraction.