In this Cyberchase activity, students watch a video clip in which the number of lily pads is doubling repeatedly. The video clip is used to introduce exponential form. Students learn to write repeated multiplication using exponents and to evaluate expressions in exponential form.
Lily Pad Escape QuickTime Video
Part I: Learning Activity
1. Read the following to your students: "The CyberSquad tries to escape from a deserted island where Hacker has stranded them. They have been told that a particular tree will help them escape. They find one lily pad and wonder how they can use the lily pads to reach the nearest island, which is 128 lily pads away."
2. Tell the students that they will watch a video clip to see how the CyberSquad escapes from the deserted island. Ask students to focus on what the CyberSquad notices about the increasing number of lily pads and how this will help them escape.
3. Play the Lily Pad Escape QuickTime Video.
4. Distribute Handout 1: Working With Exponents.
5. Ask the students to complete the handout.
6. Discuss student answers.
Part II: Assessment
Assessment: Level A (proficiency): Students practice writing arithmetic expressions in exponential form and vice versa. They also evaluate exponential forms.
Assessment: Level B (above proficiency): Students solve a problem involving exponential growth of a computer virus.