Students are asked to explore counting in groups of ten, while exploring the concept of place value in our base-10 numeration system. This activity is motivated by a Cyberchase episode in which the Fairy Tale people are bewitched and forget how to count.
Part I: Learning Activity
1. Distribute copies of the Proving Your Count handout , and ask students to complete Part 1 (only) of the handout.
2. Read the following to the students: "In the clip you are about the watch, the Wicked Witch has put a spell on the Fairy Tale people, so they no longer know how to count. To help them put together the ransom of 777 golden eggs, the CyberSquad uses a special quality of our number system. Watch the video and see if you can find which special quality they use."
3. Play the Using Grouping to Count Quickly video.
4. Ask the students to complete Part 2 of the handout.
5. Discuss the students' methods on the handout and in particular, how they modified their method in light of the video segment. Discuss with them the importance of place value and how it is made easier with grouping.
Part II: Assessment
Assessment: Level A (proficiency): Students are asked to decode groups of tens to efficiently count items.
Assessment: Level B (above proficiency): Students compare counting and grouping with tens and dozens.