Custos, Raphael (1590-1651). Medium: engraving. Date: 1616. The German Factory or Fondaco dei Tedeschi was an entrepot, a commercial and administrative office and accomodation for German merchants and traders; built in 1508 and situated on the Rialto, it had frescos on the facade painted by Titian and Giorgione; used by all the subjects of the Holy Roman Empire, including Flanders, Bohemia, Austria and Germany; Entrepot des Allemands; today the main postal office in Venice; Provenance: Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris, France / Giraudon. Photographic rights held by The Bridgeman Art Library.