French School, (19th century); French. Medium: watercolour on paper. Date: 19th Century. Designed in 1843 by Emile Gilbert (1795-1874) Architect of the City of Paris, and constructed betwen 1845 and 1850 to replace the De la Force prison; model cellular plan inspired by the designs of Guillaume-Abel Blouet (1795-1853) who visited the United States of America in 1836 to study American penitentiary architecture and design reforms; 'maison d'arret cellulaire'; demolished in 1898 on the occasion of the 1898 Exposition Universelle (Universal Exhibition) in Paris; Provenance: Musee de la Ville de Paris, Musee Carnavalet, Paris, France / Giraudon. Photographic Rights The Bridgeman Art Library.