French School, (16th century); French. Medium: oil on canvas. Date: 1590-3. Illustration shows the island (since 1725 renamed Ile Saint-Louis) before its urban development in the 1640's during the reign of Louis XIII and the regency of Marie de M�dicis; Ile Notre-Dame was given to the bishop of Paris by King Charles the Bald in 867 and soon after became the property of the canons of Notre-Dame; at the time of this painting, the island was used by laundry workers (seen here drying their washing) and provided pasture for horses and cattle; the view is taken from the Place de Gr�ve, today known as Place de l'H�tel de Ville; on the left bank opposite the viewer is the abbey of Saint-Victor (l?abbaye de Saint-Victor de Paris) and on the right is the Ile de la Cit�; Provenance: Musee de la Ville de Paris, Musee Carnavalet, Paris, France / Giraudon. Photographic Rights The Bridgeman Art Library.